JP McAleer, DPM, FACFAS
Physician is an instructor for Lapiplasty® medical education events and is a paid consultant of Treace Medical Concepts.
Dr. J.P. McAleer received his medical degree from the New York College of Podiatric Medicine where he graduated in the top of his class. He went on to complete his internship and residency in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City. Mount Sinai Hospital consistently ranks in the top 20 nationwide by U.S. News & World, achieving honor roll status in multiple specialties. During his training there he earned the respect of his attending physicians and fellow residents and served as chief resident.
Dr. McAleer is experienced in all aspects o...
Dr. McAleer introduced the innovative Lapiplasty procedure to the State of Missouri. This new technology provides reproducible 3-D triplane bunion correction, reducing the risk of bunion reoccurrence and improving patient outcomes. This ground breaking procedure allows for patients to walk after surgery and returns them to their shoes in half the time of traditional bunion surgery.
He specializes in bunion/hammertoe surgery, flatfoot deformity correction, management of joint arthritis, heel pain, repair of tendon tears/ruptures, and fracture management of the foot and ankle. He cares for both pediatric and adult patients.
Dr. McAleer entered private practice in 2006. He is a shareholder partner at the Jefferson City Medical Group. He also has privileges at SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital and serves as the Vice Chief of Staff at the JCMG Surgical Center. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Certified in Foot Surgery, and is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons.
Dr. McAleer is a member of the Jefferson City Chamber of Commerce. He holds a second degree black belt in Ryu Renshi Dan Karate and is an exercise enthusiast. He enjoys spending his free time traveling with his family.
- Served as Chief Resident at Mount Sinai Medical Center – New York, NY
- Pi Delta Podiatric Honor Society member
- Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine Distinguished Scholar Award
- Certificate of Recognition for involvement in the World Trade Center disaster relief efforts on September 11, 2001
- Dr. McAleer has authored articles published in several medical journals, has lectured internationally and currently serves as a medical device consultant.
- Featured on “The Doctors” Television Show – Season 13; Episode 107; Airing 5/19/2021
- Clinical Digital Editor, Podiatry Today 2021
Recent Bunion Research/Publications
1. McAleer JP, Dayton P, DeCarbo, WT, Duke W, Hatch DJ, Smith WB, Santrock RD, Easley M. Radiographic Outcomes Following Multi-Joint Triplanar Tarsometatarsal Arthrodesis of Combined Hallux Valgus and Metatarsus Adductus Deformities. ACFAS Poster Competition. 2022 Feb.
2. McAleer JP, Dayton P, DeCarbo W, Hatch DJ, Smith WB, Ray JJ, Santrock RD. A systematic approach to the surgical correction of combined hallux valgus and metatarsus adductus deformities. JFAS Sept/Oct 2021 60(5): 1048-1053.
3. DeCarbo W, Dayton P, Smith WB, McAleer JP, Hatch DJ, Ray JJ, Santrock RD. Triplanar correction for first metatarsalphalangeal fusion. JFAS Sept/Oct 2021 60(5): 1044-1047.
4. Hatch DJ, Dayton P, DeCarbo W, McAleer JP, Ray JJ, Santrock RD, Smith WB. Analysis of shortening and elevation of the first ray with instrumented triplane first tarsometatarsal arthrodesis. FAO. 2020 5(4).
5. Vaida J, Ray J, Shackleford, TL, DeCarbo WT, Hatch DJ, Dayton P, McAleer JP, Smith WB, Santrock, RD. Effect on Foot width with triplanar tarsalmetatarsal arthrodesis for hallux valgus. FAO. July 2020 5(3).
6. McAleer, JP. Is minimal incision first ray surgery a viable option? (Counterpoint). Pod Today. Dec 2019 32(12): 26-33.
Advanced Skills Training
This Lapiplasty® surgeon has attended a Lapiplasty® Advanced Skills Training course in the last 24-months
This Lapiplasty® surgeon trains other surgeons on the Lapiplasty® Procedure
This Lapiplasty® surgeon performs the Lapiplasty® Mini-Incision™ Procedure